Chinese 'Snow Dragon' icebreaker gets STUCK on its way to rescue ship of 70 tourists trapped in Antarctic ice since Christmas Day
- Team of researchers, tourists and a reporter stuck among thick ice sheet 1,500 nautical miles south of Hobart, the Tasmanian capital
- Called for help at 5am Christmas morning after becoming submerged in ice
- Scientists warn blizzards could delay rescue mission further
By Mia De Graaf
PUBLISHED: 05:55 EST, 27 December 2013 | UPDATED: 15:28 EST, 28 December 2013
The ice breaker sent out to rescue a tourist ship submerged in Antarctic ice since Christmas Day is stuck en-route to the vessel.
The Chinese icebreaker Xue Long, or Snow Dragon, is six nautical miles away from the stranded Russian ship and may take another two days to reach it, its captain has said.
Academic Shokalskiy, carrying 74 people, was recreating a 100-year-old Australasia expedition first sailed by Sir Douglas Mawson to see how the journey changes using new technology and equipment.
But on Wednesday morning, the boat hit a mass of thick ice sheets and today remains at a stand still.
Scroll down for video
Trapped: 74 people, including scientists, tourists and a Guardian reporter, are stuck in thick ice sheets
Russia's Academic Shokalskiy is recreating Mawson's 100-year-old Australasia expedition using new tools
Just before 5am on Wednesday, Australia deployed a The Snow Dragon to free the group into open water, the BBC reported, but Capt. Wang Jiangzhong has now said it may need another two icebreakers to help it get to the stranded ship.
French vessel L'Astrolabe has also been sent out for back up, alongside Australia's Aurora Australis, which is carrying food and first aid professionals.
Finally, after two days being stranded, the passengers hope to be rescued today by the Snow Dragon.
However, the support teams have warned oncoming blizzards could delay their arrival even further.
Marooned 1,500 nautical miles south of Hobart - the capital of the Australian state of Tasmania - the thick ice sheets built up during a bout of severe wind.
Conditions are set to worsen today.
The ice-strengthened ship, built in 1982, was originally used for oceanographic research before being refurbished to be used as a passenger vessel in the Arctic and Antarctica.
Blizzards could hamper the rescue mission, but the ship is well-stocked and the scientists are continuing their research on the snow around them
France's L'Astrobe and Australia's Aurora Australis have also been deployed to save the ship
Bleak: The ship has been stranded in the barren, frozen landscape since Christmas
On board are scientists from the University of New South Wales, a journalist from The Guardian and dozens of tourists who have paid to be part of the recreation of Mawson’s expedition.
The research team has made contact with local stations from the Commonwealth Bay to say they are well-stocked with food.
They are also continuing their research while stranded by testing the temperature of the surrounding ice sheets.
A spokesman for Australia's Maritime Safety Authority told Australia's Associated Press: 'It is quite a remote part of the world, but we have everyone safe. The vessel isn't in any immediate danger.'
The spokesman said the ship was visiting a number of sites along the edge of Antarctica.
The nationalities of the tourists have not been revealed, but they are known to include scientists and explorers.
One has managed to send a tweet.
Chris Turney, of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, wrote: 'Heavy ice. Beautiful; light wind. Only -1degC. All well. Merry Xmas everyone from AAE.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Marius was shot with a bolt gun at Copenhagen ZooSpokesman said they were unable to find Marius a home at another zooThousands had signed petitions ...
- Rise of the me first mothers: Changing nappies in restaurants. Brazenly promoting their little darlings. CATHERINE OSTLER identifies an infuriating new breed of parent
- Houston father Joe Ledet and daughter Donna Davis killed by 'drunk driver'
- Beauty queen Kristy Althaus 'loses title of first runner-up Miss Colorado Teen USA over allegedly making a porno'
- Linda Perez fell into coma last year after having breast implants can barely move or speak
- Bob Costas gets an eye infection at Sochi games
- New York man Reid Fontaine 'had sex with cows at farm while friend filmed him'
- Ukraine's abandoned tank graveyard could be needed if tensions with Russia escalate
- When weed grew wild in Williamsburg in the 1950s
- Ex-NFL player Darren Sharper charged with rape in California
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- Breaking Amish's Kate Stoltz models lingerie and her parents aren't happy
- Children possessed by 200 demons 'levitated' and walked backwards over walls in front of hospital staff
- Touching moment sea lion befriends boy with Asperger's as they play cute game of follow-the-leader
- Banker plunges to his death from JP Morgan's London headquarters in Canary Wharf
- Treaty would mean 'British war with Russia' if Putin's troops intervene in Ukraine
- Murder couple charged 'after five-year-old girl was forced to drink liters of grape juice as punishment'
- Extras needed for Cincinnati-based movie 'Carol'
- College cross-country skier, 20, dies during race
- Sleepless in Seattle: Seahawk fans ready to party all night as 3,000 take to the streets for rowdy Super Bowl celebration
- Was brother of American Idol Alfred Wright found with his tongue and teeth ripped killed in Texas because he was black?
- Mystery 'plague' hits over 700 students and staff with violent illness at Texas high school
- Heartbreaking moment family are told divers have found body of married mother of two, 28, in a creek after tragic accident
- Who wore it best? Football great Joe Namath's fur coat at Super Bowl compared with the IKEA monkey
- Did American prisoner of war abandon his unit? U.S. soldier Bowe Bergdahl could stand trial for desertion if freed from Taliban
Lookalike girlfriend stages bizarre protest outside sentencing of Simon Gittany who faces up to 20 years prison for throwing his ballerina fiancee to her death from balcony of their luxury Sydney apartment (0)
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Peru authorities crackdown on naked photos and streaking at Machu Picchu
- Candy Crush Saga belongs to group of complex mathematical problems
- LA grandmother and grandson hospitalized 'after eating marijuana pizza'
- Pennsylvania woman smacks reporter in the face with her handbag
- Actresses only get just 30 per cent of speaking parts, study finds
- High school wrestler lost and hugged opponent's father who has terminal cancer
- Rachel Canning returns home after lawsuit against parents is denied
- Was missing flight MH370 jet brought down by a shoe bomber?
- Prince Harry's girlfriend Cressida Bonas is related to Sir Winston Churchill
- Woman gives birth to healthy baby that grew in her ABDOMEN - not her womb